Is NZ being conned into war with Iraq?
The article has a lot of depth and includes all the different ways that NZ is potentially being conned into going to war with Iraq. This will likely last in the news for another week or potentially more after we find out the result of how true this could be. It made on of the top articles of the featured list on New Zealand Herald. The reason this article has a lot of detail, will last a decent length of time and is one of the main articles on the NZ Herald because the event is about us going to war which if true will mean that some of our soldiers will likely be killed and also the fact that when a country goes to war, it is talked about for a while before made official rather than being conned into going to war without the country realising
Chapter 2 Questions:
1. What does George answer when the boss asks what he is trying to pull over?
He says Lennie is his cousin and that he kicked in the head by a horse
2. Identify and describe Curley
He is the bosses son and is thin,young, arrogant and enjoys fighting
3. The swamper said, “seems like Curley ain’t givin nobody a chance.” Explain
The swamper means that Curley judges people before giving them a chance to get to know them
4. What advice does George give Lennie after Curely and the swamper leave?
He tells Lennie to stay away from Curley. He tells him to move clear across the room if Curley enters. George tells Lennie that Curley is out to get him.
5. Identity Slim and Carlson
Slim is the jerkline skinner at the ranch, Slim is a seemingly ageless man who carries himself with great gravity. He gives Lennie one of his new litter of puppies to care for. Curley initially suspects that his wife is having an affair with Slim.
Carlson is a large, big-stomached man who works at the ranch, Carlson complains about Candy’s dog and eventually offers to put the old dog out of its misery. George steals Carlson’s gun to shoot Lennie after Curley’s wife is murdered.
6. What does Slim have that Lennie wants?
He has a litter of puppies
1. Slim and George have a long conversation. Slim says it’s funny how George and Lennie go around together. What is George’s answer?
“What’s funny about it?”
2. Identify Candy.
Candy is on old man with one hand and loves his dog that he has had since it was a puppy.
3. What did Carlson do with his Luger? Why?
He shoots Candy’s dog because it was arthritic, smelly and old
4. What card game does George play?
5. Describe Curley’s wife. What’s the problem about her?
She is a flirt and is always looking at other men on the farm but no one knows why she is acting that way
6. What will Lennie’s job be when he and George get their land?
Look after their own rabbit farm
7. What does Candy want when he hears about George’s and Lennie’s plans? What is he willing to contribute?
Candy wants to join them and their rabbit farm. He is willing to give them most of the money
8. Why did Curley fight with Lennie? What happened?
Because Lennie smiled at a joke which upset Curley and he didn’t think Lennie would defend himself although Lennie ended up crushing his hands
1. Identify Crooks.
The coloured man working on the ranch that no one interacts with due to his colour
2. Lennie tells Crooks about the land. What is his reply at first? Include a quote for this.
He doesn’t believe him because lots of people have said they will do the same thing before and he tells Lennie “You’re nuts”
3. What does Crooks want when he believes there might really be land?
To work for free on the farm doing the odd job for them
4. Why did Curley’s wife come to the barn?
To look for Curley
5. Why did Crooks change his mind after Curley’s wife left?
Because he felt he knew his place and was scared if he left they might kill him hang him from a tree
1. What happened to Lennie’s puppy? What is his reaction?
His puppy was killed by being petted too hard, Lennie was worried about George not letting him tend the rabbits
2. Why did Curley’s wife come to see Lennie?
She was lonely and knew she could talk to him
3. What did she tell Lennie?
She could have been a movie star and that she didn’t like Curley
4. Why did Lennie kill Curley’s wife?
Because she let him touch her hair, she then got frustrated because he was messing her hair up and then he panicked and snapped her neck
5. What was George’s reaction when he found out about Curley’s wife’s death?
He was upset and knew that the dreams of owning a small farm were over
6. What was Curley’s reaction to his wife’s death?
He wanted to kill Lennie for it
1. How and why did George kill Lennie?
With Carlsons Lugger Pistol in the back of the neck because he knew that Lennie was only going to cause more problems and that if he didn’t kill him, Curley would kill him more brutally
2. Who is the only one who really understands what George did?